Five Countries Where You Can Work During Your Higher Studies Program

One of the many perks of studying abroad is the part-time work opportunities that await scores of overseas students in many countries worldwide. While some countries have stringent policies about international students taking up part-time employment (like UAE), some are not so conservative and have opportunities galore just waiting to be explored.

Popular part-time job options for overseas students abroad
Overseas students have the options to choose from on-campus and off-campus jobs for their part-time work. Their wages contribute a significant share of their living expenses during their study abroad programs. Earning while learning also gives them an idea about the work culture of the country and aids in their holistic development. The popular part-time work options for overseas students in the countries abroad are as follows.
  • On-campus jobs: working in the university or its partner institutions, like libraries, photocopy centres, and the university cafeterias
  • Off-campus jobs: working as delivery personnel for food and retail industries, waitressing at restaurants, bars, working as baristas in cafes, working as accountant and cash counter personnel for departmental stores, usher jobs in movie theatres, and working as support staff for call centres

5 countries with the best earn while you learn opportunities
The following are the five countries around the world that have the best policies on overseas students finding part-time jobs to support their living expenses while studying at the best universities abroad.

The Australian Department of Immigration (DIAC) issues a Student Visa to the international students coming to study Down Under. Using your student visa, you can engage in part-time jobs in your desired sector through the entire duration of your studies. The Australian student visa allows you to take up part-time employment not exceeding 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during the holidays. However, since the Australian government determines the wage scale for all jobs in the country, it is imperative that you have a contract with your employer that mentions your work hours and wages.

A rapidly growing hub of higher education in Asia, Singapore, too, has plenty of options for overseas students looking for part-time jobs to take care of their finances while studying there. With a Student Pass from the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) to study in the registered and accredited public universities and polytechnics in Singapore, international students can choose to be employed in on-campus and off-campus part-time jobs. The work hour restrictions limit the students to work for not more than 16 hours per week in their part-time jobs while studying in Singapore.

3.   Study in USA
While studying in the USA at a college or university approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) and having an F-1 visa, you can take up on-campus jobs to support your finances. You will be allowed to work for 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during the holidays for the part-time on-campus jobs with authorisation from your university. In case you wish to seek employment opportunities beyond your campus premises, you can apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) or wait until the second year of your studies to qualify for the jobs you want.

Immigration New Zealand (INZ) issues Student Visas for the overseas students who come to the country for their study abroad programs at the prestigious universities, institutes of training and polytechnics. Using your Student Visa from INZ, you can look for and be employed in part-time jobs (both on and off-campus) for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during the session breaks and holidays with prior authorisation from your education provider.

With a Canadian Study Permit from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), you can take up part-time employment for both on and off-campus jobs. Renowned the world over for the immigrant-friendly visa norms, Canada only imposes the 20 hours per week restriction for off-campus jobs. Students who choose to take up part-time employment available on-campus for supporting their living expenses do not have any work hour regulations.

Having comparatively lax student visa norms, the countries listed above are thus excellent choices for international students wishing to take up part-time employment for supporting their finances during their study abroad programs.


  1. Valuable for information if there is any other blog related this kindly ping me

    Studying Overseas in Canada


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons to Choose a Study Canada Program

Study New Zealand Program - An Overview on Studying in New Zealand